lunes, 4 de junio de 2018

Project Mumakil (II)


As i challenged myself to go further with all Lord of The Rings  Mega-project, I had to take this  "bestial" sub-project where I left it, more than one year ago..

And actually I enjoyed myself during 3 days of creative working!

Here the first trails of making a War platform for the Haradrim (who are still not present, those spanish medieval soldiers are just  temprary substitutes for size and visual test...)

I went through the easy wat at the begining: just hexagonal base cut from cardboard , wood sticks and nothing else.. But it looks indeed good yet at this point!

Starting with some inspiration pictures:







Then continuing with "seroius business", as read in several net threads about "Homemade mumakil" and following Paul (Bods Master) advic, I decid myself fot making ttemendous tusks.. I still used the original ones hoiwever, placing as rear secodnary defence..


New front tusks are made with strong wire and putty(epoxy..



Maybe too big? Too late..



I wet also further with the plaform: A turret added (It will look similar to Peter Jacskon/Games Workshop example but not so masisve structure..)

Again cardoboard for the "fence" and decorated with putty as "leather" ..It took longer than expected,, Result OK, but I was a little worried about making it six times for the hexagonal base,,



One day later, after recovering energy and ideas I went further and completed the hexagonal fence in a very fast and easy way:  placing some wire "columns" and surrounding  them with adhesive tape for electricists.. Fool trick but it worked! And a lot of place for the crew!!!

I also complete the converison ans painting of the tusks, added some ropes as fixing straps and here the result  ath this moment..You like it? Rohirrim do not.. 
















Next steps: painting the structute, adding  a pair  of further elements in the front,  mandatory Harad war paints and some banner...






12 comentarios:

  1. Very creative, really well done. You've brought to life something I've only been able to fantasise about in my head for some time.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you John, so nice words from you,hope you like the end result

      Eliminar
  2. Respuestas
    1. Thanks Paul, you can for sure improve from the basic idea!

      Eliminar
  3. Creative and wonderful job, congrats!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. that is brilliant, The sheer size and the room on the platform for troops, it will look great on the table. What minis are you going to use for crew?.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you Sprinks, those dimensions were what I wanted in terms of usability and playing-comfort,
      Crew(s) for Mumak(il) wil be composed from Hat andalusian, Almoravids, and srelets muslims (you see, not so much imagination really :))
      For the drivers I took some bald Zvezda egyptians and Hat sumerians.. With some colour paint in their faces they will look ferocious!

      Eliminar
  5. Awesome, can't wait to see them painted!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Great idea for the elephant!
    Never thought this would be possible with our 1/72 minis!
    Easy and still genius conversion ideas :-).
    May I ask you what epoxy you used for the upper tower section and the tusks?

    Alternative for the 'wood' might also be parts of potato bags - the things they are transported in. I use them for meshing of the insides of trenches and to create fascists + middle ages pig fences etc

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Thank you daleitnan!! That idea f the potato bags sounds quite good, I will take in account!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. The epoxy I used was Milliput, a 2 component moulding stuff, quite similar to green stuff but quite cheaper. Often used also in bricolage and little home reparations..
      http://www.greenstuffworld.com/es/53-milliput

      Eliminar